Monday, May 17, 2010

Send Me to Rehab! Sook-A-Holic Right Here!



So after months of having a writer’s block, I’m officially back! My inspiration? The day I got to meet CHARLAINE HARRIS! For you non-Sook-A-Holics, she’s the reason why HBO has the show “True Blood.”

A few weeks ago, I was just messing around with my phone reading peoples’ statuses on FB. When I saw that my friend Sandra was talking about the Sookie Stackhouse series and how she was excited about the newest book coming out soon, and the new season to begin in June. I just HAD to make a comment about it. LOL So I commented with “I ordered my book months ago! It’s already on it’s way!” Sandra responds back with, “Are you going to come with me to see our favorite author when she comes here?” Hold up! What? Charlaine Harris is coming here? OMG! Christmas came early this year! Hallelujah! Automatically, I open up a browser so I can google Charlaine Harris coming to San Francisco. **singing “Haaaalll…lelujah! Haaaaalll…lelujah!** There it was, “Charlaine Harris ‘Dead in the Family’ Book tour dates: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 7pm at Borders – Stonestown.” Aaaaahhhhhh……..I was like a kid in a candy store. My first thought, “Crap, I got Hula and Tahitian practice. F*ck it! I’ll go late. Into my calendar you go.” LMAO!

So with weeks of anticipation, the day finally draws near, and I’m super excited. I couldn’t even concentrate on work or other things. Never mind that. Forget that I have a wedding to prepare for the following Saturday, and a couple of Tahitian shows I have to practice for this month. I want to meet Charlaine Harris damn it!

So the day of the book signing, I had to work until 5pm Luckily, my friend Sandra arrived to Borders early, and she was nice enough to grab me a ticket to fall in line to get my book signed. THANK YOU SANDRA! LOVE YOU FOR LIFE! I get to Borders, and goodness gracious was that place packed! Where the heck did all these people come from? As I’m looking for Sandra, I hear the workers say, “If you have a ticket, she will sign two items!” What?!?! Out comes my phone, “Jon! Grab my other book in the car! She’s signing two things!” (I’m in heaven. LOL) I finally find Sandra and her son sitting in the middle of a sea of people. So we’re chit chatting, while we wait. Catching up since we haven’t seen each other in a while, when the worker comes out, and tells us Charlaine Harris is ready to come out! Woo hoo! Outside comes this cute woman dressed in tan and white. Her hair color wasn’t the red that you would see on the book jackets of her novels. It was more of a strawberry blonde? But omg! The minute she opened her mouth and started to speak, me and Sandra look at each other and say, “OMG! She sounds like Sookie Stackhouse!” She had that adorable Southern belle accent. Charlaine Harris had a 20-minute Q&A session, before she started signing any books. Boy was it worth it to be late for Hula practice that night! Not only does Charlaine Harris have a friendly bubbly personality, but she’s funny too! She practically answered everyone’s questions. She only stopped for a second, to complain about the TV that was on in the store and say, “they should really turn that thing off.” LOL One girl, oh my freaken goodness (even my 10-year-old son said she didn’t belong in this crowd), really made a fool of herself. She kept mentioning “Sookie’s niece” even after everyone kept yelling “nephew” at her. I don’t know if it’s because she just started reading the books, or whether she was just nervous to talk to the author, or she was just plain dumb, but she sure did get the crowd to all yell “NEPHEW” in unison. LOL One more dumb comment out of her, then I could have sworn all these Sook-A-Holics were ready to carry her out of the store. LOL After dozens of questions, the inevitable question came up, “Why are you so good at writing about sex?” Charlaine Harris’ response, “I don’t know. I guess I’m just good at it.” Woooooo….the crowd went wild! LOL For those who don’t read the book . . . . . the lady is a freak! LOL

I waited about an hour to get my books signed, but it was so worth the wait. I promised my friend Der that I would ask Charlaine Harris about her fave character Quinn. Me: “So my friend wanted me to ask you, is Quinn coming back?” CH: “As a matter of fact he is! He’s going to be in my Sookie novella that comes out next February. So you can tell your friend that you heard it yourself, straight from the horse’s mouth, yes he’s coming back.”



Oh what a night! Honestly, it was one of the best nights I’ve had in a while. LOL Thank you Charlaine Harris!

No comments:

Post a Comment